From The Studio

This high schooler’s first words were ‘Get me a little guitar’

Nalae White | Staff Photgrapher

Chris Cooley can play multiple instruments and is a member of both the symphonic and jazz bands at Herkimer High School.

The year is 2005 and roughly 40 people are gathered around the stage of the Orange County Fair in California with lighters and matches in the air, begging the performer to play one more song.

Onstage is not your typical musician, but at the age of 3, he’s getting more attention than most. Chris Cooley, or Chris United, first was exposed to playing the guitar by watching the popular children’s show “The Wiggles,” where he would strum along to the music with a tennis racket. It’s what led to him uttering his first sentence.

“Get me a little guitar.”

Cooley began music lessons immediately. From there, he hopped from teacher to teacher, learning how to read music and eventually putting his skills to the test by performing at a local Hard Rock Cafe in California — all at the age of 3.

Eventually, Cooley and his family moved to Syracuse, where the lessons continued on both the drums and guitar. By 6 years old, he was performing on the sidewalks of Saratoga Springs almost every Saturday. At the age of 8 is when Cooley said he was really ready to start organizing all of the musical techniques he had learned.

Cooley, now a 15-year-old sophomore at Herkimer High School, continues to take lessons, while also participating in the New York State School Music Association conference each year for guitar, drums and vocals. In addition, he participates in the symphonic band, jazz band and chamber choir at the high school, all while also doing outside performances on his own.

The teenager has already had a couple hundred performances, with venues including Auburn Public Theater, Oswego Music Hall, Funk ‘n Waffles, various bars and coffeehouses, and The Great New York State Fair. His next performance is the annual BeatleCUSE on April 8 at the Palace Theatre.

What makes Cooley so original is not only his age, but the style of music he plays at his age: his sound is reminiscent of the blues and jazz, although he can play classical and rock too. His influences include Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton — artists way before his time.

With 12 years of experience already under his belt, Cooley has accomplished more than some adult musicians, but he knows there’s always room to improve.

“Music is a huge part of my life and always will be. I would love to attend any fine school of music at any of the great colleges or universities,” Cooley said. “During attendance, I would really enjoy becoming a part of a serious studio musicians group where I can learn, play and grow as a guitarist and musician. Maybe even tour with the best.”

Cooley’s passion comes from his heart. His father, Russ Cooley, speaks of so many young artists whose parents get lost in the fame of their child and push their child to work too hard up to the point when eventually the child loses his or her passion. They don’t want this to happen with Cooley.

“He’s one with the passion, there’s no force. We didn’t bring it to him. We’re just giving him the tools and the places to learn,” said Russ.

Managing Director of the Academy of Performing & Creative Arts Clinton, New York, Jovita Bernard has complete faith that Cooley will continue with his passion for performing, solely due to the fact that it’s so rare to see a musician at a young age with such determination.

“He’s benefitted from lessons and teachers, but what has actually grown Christopher as a musician in style, technique and repertoire is going out there and performing on sidewalks in Saratoga, in coffeehouses, in open mic nights. I mean you’re looking at a kid, 12, 13, 14 years old, how many times do you see that?” said Bernard. “You’re looking at adults who have a tough time with that passion.”

Being extremely talented as his age can often intimidate both adults and teenagers alike, and one of Cooley’s biggest challenges is finding musicians his age that can read music and that he can collaborate with. It’s important for Cooley to be able to work with musicians who will be able to tweak songs to either make them sound perfect, or to make a cover song sound different but still enjoyable from a fan’s perspective.

Stephanie Paine, the band director at Sauquoit Valley High School, discovered Cooley at a festival and asked him if he could read music. Feeling ecstatic about the answer, Paine asked him to be in the school’s production of “The Who’s Tommy.” According to Paine, Cooley is always up for the challenge.

Said Paine: “If there is anything that challenges him, he works on it and get it right away. He really believes in precision and really believes in being musical, and has a lot of styles in his hands. He’s just a really good player.”