Tipperary Hill Guide 2017

The green line on Nancy Duffy Lane is there for a reason

Courtesy of Saint Patrick's Parade Committee

Keeping with tradition a green stripe will be painted on Nancy Duff Lane, kicking off St. Patrick’s Parade festivities. The city's mayor Stephanie Miner will act as the parade’s Grand High Marshal.

Led by the music of a bagpiper, the Syracuse St. Patrick’s Parade will kick off Friday morning with its tradition of painting a green stripe down Nancy Duffy Lane.

The green stripe marks the path of the parade, stretching from the corner of Erie Boulevard and South Salina Street down to the corner of Harrison Street. During the week before the parade, the city’s Department of Public Works replaces the street signs on South Salina Street with signs marking “Nancy Duffy Lane” in honor of the parade’s founder who passed away in 2006.

“The green stripe tradition kicks off the beginning of the weekend festivities,” Janet Higgins, the parade’s president, said. “It’s been going on for at least 25 years.”

The green stripe painting will take place on Friday at 9:30 a.m. starting at the corner of Erie Boulevard. Many government officials join Higgins and other parade officers and directors to paint the stripe.

This year Mayor Stephanie Miner will not only take part in the parade’s festivities as the city’s mayor, she is also the parade’s Grand High Marshal. She will be joined in painting the stripe by other local politicians; the Syracuse, NY Ancient Order of Hibernians; the parade chaplain, Father John Ahern; Kiltie Pipe Band’s bagpiper Dan Walsh; and also Higgins, who has been involved with the parade since its beginning 35 years ago.

“There are lots of people from around the town,” Higgins said. “There are just people who are incredibly Irish that love to come to the stripe painting to watch. It’s just really fun. It’s a really nice way to start off the weekend.”

In 2014, the International Business Times ranked Syracuse as the ninth largest St. Patrick’s Day parade in America. Hosting at least 30,000 people, according to IBT, Higgins says the Syracuse St. Patrick’s Parade is the largest city event celebrating the holiday.

Ten years ago, the parade committee began the Hunger Project, which the parade’s website, works to “support our community network of hunger-related agencies in meeting the food needs of the individuals and families they serve.”

Higgins said that in the 10 years since beginning the project, the parade has helped supply more than half a million meals to people in central New York.