Ice Hockey

Syracuse ice hockey shuts out Lindenwood, 5-0

Sam Ogozalek | Asst. News Editor

The Orange penalty kill was perfect on the night, blanking Lindenwood to an 0-for-7 mark.

Allie Munroe’s four points led the way for Syracuse (8-10-5, 7-2-2 College Hockey America) as it dismantled Lindenwood (5-15-2, 3-7-1) 5-0 on Friday night at Lindenwood Ice Arena in Wentzville, Missouri.

The sophomore defender assisted on three goals and scored one of her own on a powerplay. SU scored four powerplay goals — two in the first period. The Orange scored three goals in the first period for this first time this season and tied a school record with four powerplay goals. The last time the Orange scored four goals on the powerplay was against Union in October 2013.

Abbey Miller was also perfect in the net, swallowing up all 14 shots she faced. It was Miller’s fourth shutout of the season.

Savannah Rennie opened the scoring in the first, followed by Steph Grossi (powerplay) and Emily Costales (powerplay).

The 3-0 margin lasted the entire second period, but Syracuse’s offense came back alive 40 seconds into the third with a Larissa Martyniuk score. Munroe added the fifth goal with 5:41 remaining.

The Orange penalty kill was perfect on the night, blanking Lindenwood to an 0-for-6 mark. SU drew eight penalties on the Lady Lions and dominated in both shots, 36-14, and at the faceoff dot, 42-19.

Syracuse finishes its series with Lindenwood on Saturday at 2 p.m.