Ice Hockey

Syracuse ice hockey falters after allowing four goals in the second period in 4-3 loss to No. 6 Boston College

Colin Davy | Asst. Photo Editor

SU's defense allowed four goals in the second period in what ended up being a 4-3 loss in its first game of the new year.

In its first game of 2017, the Orange (5-9-5, 4-2-2 College Hockey America) fell to No. 6 Boston College (13-3-3, 10-2-1 Hockey East) in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, 4-3.

Syracuse jumped out to a lead in the first period courtesy of Laurence Porlier’s first goal of the season. Four minutes later, SU’s co-points leader Alysha Burriss netted her sixth goal of the year.

Despite leading by two goals at the end of the first period, SU crumbled as the Eagles scored four goals in the second period, the first time this season the Orange surrendered four goals in a single frame. Boston College’s Kristyn Capizzano scored three goals and Kenzie Kent contributed the fourth in a 12-minute span to give the Eagles a 4-2 lead.

In the third period, a Stephanie Grossi power-play goal cut the deficit to one. But the Orange never scored the equalizer.

Statistically, the Orange led in many categories. SU outshot the Eagles 28-25, and won the faceoff battle 32-25. On the power-play, SU went 1-3 while BC was able to convert on two of its three chances. This was also the first time the SU penalty kill conceded two goals in one period.

Freshman goalie Ady Cohen entered the game in the third period, replacing Abbey Miller. Cohen had four saves in her debut.

SU has its next game January 10th, when it takes on Cornell in Ithaca, New York.