Syracuse University to hold open forums for discussion on Campus Framework

Will Carrara | Contributing Photographer

Syracuse University will be holding six open forums during the fall semester for students, faculty and staff to comment on the Campus Framework.

Syracuse University is looking for more feedback on its 20-year plan for major updates and renovations to SU’s physical campus.

Six open forums will be held for students, faculty and staff to comment on the Campus Framework, the university announced Thursday. A draft of the plan was released in June with a website containing message boards where people could leave comments about the Framework. So far, as of Aug. 18, about 70 comments are public on the website. Those comments — as well as those received in the six open forums — will be used to make a new draft of the Framework, which will be released in January 2017, according to an SU News release.

These forums come after some people on campus complained in the spring that the university did not communicate well enough about one of the near-term projects in the Campus Framework: the University Place promenade. A few open forums about the promenade were scheduled for students in March, but barely anyone attended. Despite concerns, two petitions and a protest, the project went forward and will be completed on Aug. 22.

Unlike online comments, these meetings will be an opportunity for anyone to talk with representatives from the Office of Campus Planning, Design and Construction and the Campus Framework Advisory Group face-to-face. Here are the dates and times of the forums:

• Tuesday, Sept. 13 from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium
  • Saturday, Sept. 17 from 11 a.m. to noon in the Life Sciences Complex, Auditorium 001
  • Wednesday, Sept. 21 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium, Newhouse III
  • Monday, Sept. 26 from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium, Newhouse III
  • Thursday, Sept. 29 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium, Newhouse III
  • Saturday, Oct. 29 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Maxwell Auditorium