SUNY-ESF

SUNY-ESF students to no longer receive health care from SU Health Services

Marisa Rother | Head Illustrator

Beginning Monday, students from the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry will no longer be able to use Syracuse University Health Services.

For the 2016-17 academic year, SUNY-ESF students will now be receiving health care from Crouse Medical Practice, located at 739 Irving Ave. across from the SU Health Services building located on Waverly Avenue.

The reason for the switch, SUNY-ESF Vice President Joe Rufo said in a Syracuse.com article, is that Syracuse University was struggling to keep up with demand for health care as its enrollment increased and is “concerned they would have difficulty providing the same level of care.” Rufo was not available to comment on this story.

SUNY-ESF students will still have access to lifesaving services provided by SU Ambulance. And though Crouse will be the preferred provider, students are still free to seek health care elsewhere, according to Syracuse.com.

Additionally, SUNY-ESF will have also now have its own counseling center, located in 105 Bray Hall. Director of Counseling Services Ruth Larson was unavailable for comment.

All full-time SUNY-ESF students will also be required to have health insurance. Those who already have insurance can stay on their plans, but otherwise students must purchase the specific SUNY-ESF student health insurance plan.

Before, SUNY-ESF students could purchase the Aetna Student Health Insurance plan through Syracuse University, but that plan will no longer be accepted. Now, students must purchase Aetna Student Health Insurance through SUNY-ESF.

As of now, there will not be a separate student health fee, but it may be considered for the 2017-18 academic year, according to the SUNY-ESF website.