Tennis

Syracuse tennis’s Anna Shkudun’s season ends with loss in NCAA singles tournament Round of 64

Eddie Natal | Staff Photographer

Anna Shkudun's season came to an end with a straight-set loss to Virginia's Danielle Collins in the Round of 64 in the NCAA tournament.

Anna Shkudun’s first season with Syracuse ended on Wednesday, losing in the Round of 64 in the NCAA singles tournament to Virginia’s No. 2 seed Danielle Collins, 2-6, 0-6.

Shkudun entered the match ranked No. 61 in the country while Collins was ranked second.

The two last played on Feb. 21 in the No. 1 singles match and Shkudun lost 1-6, 1-6 as SU fell to then-No. 9 Virginia, 5-2. The Orange’s season as a team ended on May 14 when it lost to No. 2 seed Florida.

Shkudun faced the toughest competition of anyone on Syracuse throughout the year, playing just two games outside of No. 1 singles. The senior finished the season with a 13-10 record and 6-8 in conference play.

With Shkudun squaring off in the NCAA singles tournament and SU’s 27th-ranked doubles team of Gabriela Knutson and Valeria Salazar in the NCAA doubles tournament, the feat marks the Orange’s first time since 1996 in which the team has sent a singles player and a doubles pair.

Shkudun has one more year left of eligibility and will return in 2017, according to athletic communications assistant Tim Gallagher.

As for Knutson and Salazar, the duo will play its first doubles match Thursday, May 26 against No. 3 Brooke Austin and Kourtney Keegan of Florida.